Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Construction and crayons

Two stories stood out to me today, one very sad and much too common in this community, and the other just very interesting that you don't see with our kids in the states.

First the sad story. We examined 38 kids today and thankfully, only 6 children needed glasses. One child that needed glasses received a pair from us last year but his teacher said his father sold them for a bottle of alcohol. We will get him two pair this year and leave one pair at the school. Never thought I would contemplate beating up a Guatemalan while I was here....just kidding, kind of.

The other story is just something you don't see in the states very often. There was a 10 year-old boy named Edgar and a 16 year-old named Luis, both who were on the construction site helping all day yesterday lifting, shoveling, and contributing to some skilled work on the site. Well today was vacation Bible school and both boys were there with smiles and overflowing excitement. The amazing thing to me was during "colorbook time", both boys were entrenched with their colors, coloring pictures with fervor, pride, and utter enjoyment. They were just as proud to show me their freshly colored pictures as they were scampering up ladders carrying 15 pound blocks, drilling holes in boards, pouring concrete, and making mortar. I guess you could say I saw the man in the boy and the boy in the man in both children. I'm privileged to get to know them.

Miss my little Guatemalan and mi esposa.

Pat

1 comment:

  1. Guatemala Team...Thank you for sharing the details of your journey with all of us...It feels as though I am there with you...may God continue to guide every step you take and reveal Himself to each one of you as you continue on this journey of being His hands and feet...your stories are very inspiring...Love to hear what God is doing! Praying for you all...
    Amy Hayward

    ReplyDelete