Today was a day that made many impressions on me. From a second day of VBS with some awesome kids to an amazing session with some incredible teachers, I found myself constantly in awe of the attitudes and personalities that I see here.
Today in VBS we had so much fun with the kids. There are many stories to be told, but I want you to understand the hearts of these kids. I was amazed at not only how much effort and spirit they put into their activities, but also the respectful way they interact with us, their teachers, and fellow students. They are some of the sweetest kids that I ever met. I always thought that in any group of kids you could tell which were the trouble makers, but in this group it seemed there were none. Naturally some have more exuberant personalities than others, but the most rambunctious were still wonderful. One of the most amazing impressions was how much they cared about coloring or anything else they were doing. No matter the age or personality, every one was fully committed to doing their best. When it was time to go and we had to say goodbye, I got more sincere hugs and kinds words than I could have imagined. It was a touching moment and I sincerely will miss those sweet children.
In the afternoon we worked at Kairos getting ready for "concrete day" tomorrow. The last activity was moving a huge pile of sand into the courtyard area. We were already tired and the pile never seemed to get smaller, but we kept on shoveling. All of us were impressed and motivated by the perseverance of Edgar, a ten year old boy who always seems eager to help and take on more than anyone would expect. I posed the question of how many boys his age do we know that would work so hard with such a positive attitude and willingness to help. Edgar amazed all of us and was a shining example of how great the kids at Kairos are.
We ended the night with an inspiring dinner session with the teachers and staff from Kairos. They are an amazing group of people with a heart that truly goes after God with a faith that surpasses any I have experienced. Hearing their stories of how they came to Kairos, what aspirations they have for the future, and how they see God working through the school was the most inspiring thing I have heard in a long time. It impressed upon me not only how important their mission is, but also how much of an effect they have on the coming generation. Each one of them has such hope founded in their students, and trusts in the positive impact this generation can bring to Guatemala. It was an amazing night with incredible people that have truly earned my respect.
It's a great blessing to be able to see first hand how God is working in Guatemala and has His hands over Kairos. It is evident in so many ways that all I can say is I feel fortunate to serve such an amazing God and be a small part of his plan for Guatemala. We haven't even left for home, but I already can't wait to come back next year.
Joshua Marble
Thursday, November 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment